Grilled chicken is one of our go-to summer dinners when we’re looking for something fast, easy, and satisfying. That being said, sometimes it can verge towards being slightly boring. The solution? These grilled chicken kebabs. Paired with bok choy and scallions and glazed with a hoisin barbecue sauce, these chicken skewers are juicy, flavorful, and a guaranteed winner at every summer cookout.
Chicken thighs vs. chicken breasts.
If you’ve had less-than-ideal grilled chicken, we bet unseasoned, dry chicken breasts were the culprit. We combat this in this recipe by using chicken thighs instead of breasts. Thighs are a lot more forgiving on the grill due to their natural tenderness and flavor, ensuring that your chicken doesn’t dry out and maintains its juicy, tender bite.
No need to marinate your chicken for hours in this recipe. After assembling your skewers, all you need to do is brush them with your hoisin-based marinade mixture after each flip. The best part of the glaze? There’s no need to cook anything. Just whisk the ingredients together and you’re ready to go.
How long do I grill my kebabs?
Our kebabs were done in a little under 10 minutes: 4 minutes before glazing, 4-5 minutes after glazing. The best way to tell when your chicken is done? Use a meat thermometer. Your chicken is done and ready to go once the thickest piece of chicken reaches 165ºF on an instant read thermometer.
Made this recipe? Let us know how it came out in the comments below!
- Step 1 : In a medium bowl, whisk together hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic until thoroughly combined.
- Step 2 : In a large bowl, add chicken, bok choy, and scallions. Drizzle over vegetable oil, season thoroughly with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Step 3 : Preheat grill to medium-high for 3 minutes, and soak skewers in a shallow pan filled with water for 10 minutes to prevent scorching. Once soaked, thread chicken, bok choy, and groups of 3 scallions onto skewers.
- Step 4 : Transfer skewers to the grill and cook for about 4 minutes, flipping occasionally. After the first 4 minutes, begin brushing the skewers with the hoisin mixture after each flip. Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until the thickest piece of chicken reaches 165ºF on an instant read thermometer.
- Step 5 : Transfer to a platter, sprinkle on sesame seeds and serve.
- 1/4 c. hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 ” piece ginger, grated or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 lb. baby bok choy, rinsed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Toasted sesame seeds